Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Science of Shopping

1. Key points in this article are manipulation from retail stores by main techniques like invariant right, men and women's differences, typing, and butt brush theory. Stores learn to put important things in the right because people always look right when they enter stores. Retailers also understand that men and women are very different creatures when it comes to shopping. For example, women shop longer or have more patience than men. With this knowledge, men's clothing are always in front so they don't get confused with the wrong sex clothing. Another way stores get people to purchase items are the using the Typing method. Typing is a market research based on questionaires that predict the kind of products people buy. Typing is highly accurate. Stores also design enough space in aisle for women's product because according to the butt brush theory, women are very sensitive back there.

2. I feel I am very influenced by the store's design because I would not walk into a store if the outside if the store looks bad. I judge the store just from looking at the store's design. I am very influenced by store design because I always find myself buying items I don't really need but I end up buying it because of the marketing techniques that used on me.

3. List to analyze retail store
Decompression Zone
Butt Brush Theory
Men and Women's sales location
Right and Left Invariant
Location of the store (not near banks)
Downshift factor
The ratio of products brought for every customer
Image or the message

No comments: