Saturday, October 4, 2008

Simplicity vs Complexity

1. Visceral Design, Behavioral Design, and Reflective Design contributes to simplicity/complexity because designers use these designs to help create a simple and complex appeal towards consumers. Designers purposely make their products viscerally more simple to attract consumers. For the behavioral aspect of products, designers create less controls and functions to show simplicity. Finally, designers should have a reflective design, sending a message to the people that the product is very simple.

2. "I know the example of a phone was used often, but this past summer I worked as a temporary office administrator in a small environmental engineering office where I lived. My main responsibility was to answer the phone, and I often had difficulties transferring and holding calls that came in. The worst experience was when I accidentally called someone and thought that they had called me. That led to an awkward exchange...
The design of the phone was too complicated. I could not remember all the different combination of buttons that I needed to transfer, hold, and call out. Like Norman said, there were too many functions."-Hannah

“That’s the design challenge- to discover real needs that even the people who need them cannot yet articulate.”
This statement by Norman fascinates me. Everyday items that we consider essential are at one time not available or considered superfluous. A perfect example is the cell phone. Even when the concept was introduced most consumers did not respond very positively to it. However, now every where you go you can find someone talking on their phone. It just shows how innovative and persistent designers need to be.''-Liz

From reading Hannah and Liz's answers, I discovered that people do not know what they want from designers. Phones with many functions may sound attractive to consumers, but most of the time, consumers cannot describe what they want. Therefore, designers have to be innovative and be able to think about what the people want.

No comments: